On 23 November 2022, the World Green Building Council (WorldGBC) announced the winners of the prestigious WorldGBC Asia Pacific Leadership in Green Building Awards, which were celebrated in Bali, Indonesia.
The WorldGBC Asia Pacific Leadership in Green Building Awards showcases the businesses and innovators leading the way in sustainable buildings. The biennial event, first held in 2014, celebrates Asia Pacific’s brightest achievements towards a more sustainable built environment: buildings pushing the envelope in sustainability, inspiring companies, and strong female leadership.
An independent panel of high-profile judges assessed nominations from Asia Pacific Green Building Councils and selected winners in three awards categories:
- The Business Leadership in Sustainability Award
- The Women in Green Building Leadership Award
- The Leadership in Sustainable Design and Performance Award
The winners across the following categories:
Award 1: Leadership in Sustainable Design & Performance
- Hong Kong – InnoCell, by Leigh & Orange Limited
- Singapore – Schneider Electric East Asia & Japan Headquarters, by Schneider Electric
- Malaysia – The Menara IQ, by HSBC
- China – DaTong Energy Resources Exhibition Bldg, by Beijing New City Green Resources Technology Employment
Award 2: Business Leadership in Sustainability
Title Sponsor: AGC Asia Pacific Pte Ltd
- Hong Kong – Henderson Land Development Co. Ltd.
Award 3: Women in Green Building Leadership
- Vietnam – Luu Thi Thanh Mau, General Director of Phuc Khang Corporation, Vice President of Vietnam Young Entrepreneurs Association – VYEA, Vice President of Ho Chi Minh City Real Estate Association – HOREA.
The trophies for the WorldGBC Asia Pacific Leadership in Green Building Awards 2022 were sponsored by Pan-United, a leading technology company in the concrete & logistic space. These trophies were designed and engineered from PanU Illuma, a structural low-carbon concrete that allows natural light to pass through, saving electricity, energy and maintenance costs.
Recap of the finalist showcase webinars:
APN Awards – Showcase (Business Leadership) – 2 Nov 10:30am GMT+8. Video Recording.
APN Awards – Showcase (Women Leadership) – 3 Nov 10:30am GMT+8. Video Recording.
APN Awards – Showcase (Commercial Building) – 4 Nov 10:30am GMT+8. Video Recording.
APN Awards – Showcase (Residential Building) – 9 Nov 10:30am GMT+8. Video Recording.
APN Awards – Showcase (Institutional Building) – 10 Nov 10:30am GMT+8. Video Recording.
Cristina Gamboa, CEO, World Green Building Council, said:
“The Asia Pacific region has the unparalleled opportunity to share with the world its journey in securing low carbon and sustainable built environments. Congratulations to all the incredible award winners and finalists, who are leading the way in innovation across the region.
“By showcasing your work as industry leaders and ground-breaking infrastructure projects, the APN Award winners are inspiring much-needed solutions for both people and planet – and showing what can be done to accelerate sustainable built environments for everyone, everywhere.”
Cary Chan, Executive Director of Hong Kong Green Building Council, Chair of Asia Pacific Regional Network, said:
“A heartwarming congratulations to the 2022 APN award winners. Their outstanding projects demonstrated that it’s possible to achieve total sustainability, and we can do better. These awards set a positive momentum for the industry. We hope to see more and more outstanding projects demonstrating their vision and approach aligning with WorldGBC’s strategic areas.”
Anand Muthukrishnan, Principal Counsellor, India Green Building Council Vice Chair of Asia Pacific Regional Network, said:
“Warmest congratulations to all the finalists and winners of the Asia Pacific Network Awards 2022. The best-in-class practices and unique sustainable solutions adopted would transform the way the buildings and built infrastructure is perceived. Your leadership & commitment to sustainability is an inspiration to everyone, and this accomplishment is another step towards achieving WorldGBC’s Net Zero goals!”
Our jury panel also put down their wish lists for the future projects:
- Low energy consumption and/or net zero will be the target for all future projects
- Include efforts that focus on the consumers’ behavior and user awareness of sustainability in order to achieve greater efficiency, health & wellbeing, and resources & circularity.
- Include continuous POE (post occupancy evaluation) to fine tune the building in order to dovetail it with the users’ lifestyles.
- For daily living of the average users, keep interfacing the hi-tech and “smart” building features and systems simple and user friendly.
- Challenge the paradigm of future living as Covid has taught us that traditions can be changed.
- Tackle issue of unsustainable living conditions such as congestion, density, quality and high unaffordable prices
- Change policy of housing from urban planning perspective to achieve greater sustainability
- Use of digital solution to disrupt building typology
- Balance between living space and public space, helping people connect with each other
- Balance between improving the quality of life and reducing the demand for net zero carbon
- Demonstrate commitment to social equity and value throughout the life-cycle, and in the broader community
- Prioritise circular economy strategies at all stages of the life cycle
- Using intensive and in-depth Micro-climate study for decision optimisation
- Maximise the potential of passive design, making the best use of nature. Thereafter, using active and renewable systems.
For more information, contact Joy Gai, Regional Head of WorldGBC’s Asia Pacific Network, at firstname.lastname@example.org.