Buildings or developments that display best practice outcomes in energy efficiency, are powered by renewable energy, and as such have been verified and certified as "net zero energy and/or carbon" projects.
Built in 1931, the Robert Redford Conservancy occupies the renovated historical infirmary building near the Pitzer College campus that was one of the original Pomona College buildings. The Conservancy is a hub for sustainable research and discovery. The complex features laboratories as well as traditional indoor classrooms and open-air “outdoor classrooms.” The historic mission style of the infirmary has been retained, and Integral Group worked with the architect to incorporate passive design strategies into the project. Goals for the project included using the building renovation as a model of regenerative design. The former infirmary has been renovated respectfully and ecological aspects of the site have been considered. Passive design elements are inherent to the original design, and building re-use reduced construction and demolition waste to the landfill by 95%. The site and the building are woven together to support scientific, artistic, and ecological uses. In this way, the Conservancy acts as a “living eco lab.”
The site and the building are woven together to support scientific, artistic, and ecological uses.