It’s here! The 9th annual World Green Building Week campaign starts today! You too can join the thousands of climate action advocates and our network of Green Building Councils and partners promoting action on this year’s theme of green homes. This year we want everyone, everywhere, to commit to making a change in the homes they build, lease or live in. We can all make a difference. Let’s start now!
Buildings and homes account for around 40% of global energy consumption; that’s over a third of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions. Making a greener world starts at home and it doesn’t have to cost the earth. In the fight against climate change, home is where the start is. #HomeGreenHome
Close to 250 actions and events from our Corporate Partners, Green building Councils, their members and many more supporters from around the world have been logged on our Global Activity Map. Activities include report launches, panel discussions, conferences and site visits to local green homes.
And we’re honoured to have Karmenu Vella, European Commissioner For Environment Maritime Affairs and Fisheries as a European Patron of World Green Building Week.
As part of the campaign, the WorldGBC Europe network will today be launching a new report setting out a vision for how mortgage lenders and borrowers can come together to help tackle climate change by improving millions of properties across Europe, as part of its Green Mortgages project. The proposed standards are now being tested as part of an EU-backed pilot scheme involving banks and financial institutions representing a combined lending power of over €3 trillion, equal to around 20% of the EU’s GDP. Find out more and read the report here.
Angela Howarth, Marketing & Communications Director, said: “It’s going to be a fantastic week. Our global network of Green Building Councils and partners are galvanising action locally to promote our message of green homes on a global scale. Together, we can make this the most successful World Green Building Week yet and secure a world of green homes for our planet.”
Keep an eye on our social media channels for all the latest activities – follow and use the campaign hashtags #HomeGreenHome and #WGBW2018
What can you do this World Green Building Week?
- Personalise a #HomeGreenHome Promise sign and tell the world what measures you’ll take to make the homes you build, lease or live in greener, healthier and more energy efficient. Take a picture with your sign and post it on social media with our hashtags #WGBW2018 and #HomeGreenHome (check out our Twitter account @WorldGBC for examples from our colleagues!)
- Learn, Share, Lead: Send an email to invite your community to events and get them to join the #HomeGreenHome conversation on social media. Find events near you on the Global Activity Map.
- Join our webinars: A Healthy Approach to Certification on Tuesday 25 September at 11:30-12:30 BST and Sustainable Communities: Leading the way to Net Zero Living on Thursday 28 September at 08:00-09:00 BST and 17:00-18:00 BST. These webinars will be recorded and uploaded to WorldGBC’s YouTube channel afterwards.
- Paint your town green! Co-brand and share the WGBW resources with your network. We have released two new visuals this week, available for social media, A4 portrait & landscape posters and web banners in English, Spanish and without text – download them from the WGBW resources page.
- Need more ideas? Download our How to Get Involved Guide today and share it with your member companies and partners.
Please email Angela Howarth or Georgina Eldridge with any questions you may have, and to explore how you can join the week.
Join us, and celebrate #HomeGreenHome this World Green Building Week!